City, State: Medford, OR
Club: St.Mary's School Sparrow Club Service Hours: 567
Date Adopted: 11/20/2019
• Nicolas is an easy-going 8-year-old boy who attends Oak Grove Elementary. He enjoys school, loves playing sports, and has been described as a “goofball” who brings humor to every situation.
• In January 2019, Nicolas was having a difficult time keeping his balance and was vomiting randomly. Doctors discovered that he had a golf ball sized tumor in his brain.
• Nicolas was emergency air lifted to Doernbecher Children’s Hospital where he immediately underwent a 9-hour brain surgery to remove the tumor.
• On January 17th, 2019, the brain tumor biopsy determined that Nicolas had a type of cancer called medulloblastoma. This particular cancer is known for causing tumors to grow in the brain and along the spinal cord.
• An MRI revealed that Nicolas also has two spinal tumors. These tumors are located in an area of his spine that makes surgery a very dangerous option, so doctors did another surgery to install a port and placed him on chemotherapy and radiation treatments to shrink the tumors.
• In July 2019, an MRI confirmed that the tumors had shrunk substantially.
• Nicolas is still receiving various treatments to shrink the tumors further. He is scheduled for MRI’s every 3 months, and still has a long medical journey ahead of him.
• Nicolas has been so brave every step of the way and actually feels the most pain from watching his family suffer with worry through this journey. He will often hug his family and assure them “everything will be okay.”
• Nicolas will be adopted as a Sparrow to St. Mary’s School. St. Mary’s students will have the opportunity to work hard to raise money for Nicolas’s ongoing treatment through sponsored community service.
The Hillcrest Committee The Hillcrest Committee