Condition: Ewing Sarcoma
City, State: Phoenix, OR
Club: Eagle Point High School Sparrow Club Service Hours: 1093
Date Adopted: 10/18/2019
• Elio is a smart and kind 10-year-old boy who attends Walker Elementary School. His favorite activities are PE and recess.
• On August 22, 2019 Elio was diagnosed with a type of bone cancer called Ewing Sarcoma.
• Ewing Sarcoma is an aggressive type of cancer that occurs in bones and soft tissue. The cancer creates a painful tumor in these areas.
• In order to fight this cancer, Elio must receive chemo through a port. The chemo will be used to shrink a tumor located in his right leg. This shrinking will allow doctors to surgically remove the cancerous bone.
• Once the cancerous bone is removed, doctors will install an internal prosthetic bone. As Elio grows into adulthood, he will continue to have surgeries to lengthen the prosthetic bone.
• Doctors are hoping the chemo will successfully shrink the tumor and they can schedule the first surgery for December 2019.
• It was also discovered, during this medical journey, that Elio only has one kidney. His kidney is strong and healthy, but doctors will take extra precautions moving forward.
• Elio is currently receiving intense chemotherapy and will continue to until he is in remission. In spite of this medical trauma he has experienced, Elio remains kind, determined, and wears a big smile on his face.
• Elio will be adopted as a Sparrow to Eagle Point High School. EPHS students will have the opportunity to work hard to raise money for Elio’s ongoing treatment through sponsored community service.
The Ethan Jostad Foundation The Ethan Jostad Foundation