Condition: Chiari Malformation, Epilepsy
City, State: Portland, OR
Club: Beaumont Middle School Sparrow Club Service Hours: 273
Date Adopted: 10/25/2019
• David is a kind seven-year-old with a kind heart and a witty sense of humor. He absolutely loves Tri-met and maps!
• David had his first seizure when he was 4 ½. After rushing him to the hospital, doctors began the long list of testing to try and figure out why. An MRI the following morning showed he had Chiari Malformation. Doctors performed his first surgery on his skull to help relieve the pressure his skull was putting on his spinal cord. This affects his balance, motor abilities and can cause headaches.
• After David had his first EEG, he was officially diagnosed with Epilepsy. His clinical seizures generally last 2-3 minutes but can last up to 30 minutes. In March of 2017 doctors discovered David also suffers from subclinical seizures called epileptic encephalopathy. These types of seizures are difficult to see and are resistant to medication, making them difficult to treat. The only way these seizures can be seen is during an EEG.
• David has had nearly 300 seizures by the time he was six years old. Doctors continue to try and control these seizures through medication and treatment. They recently placed an implant in his chest to try and prevent more seizures. It is always changing and to try and adjust what will work.
• Despite all of this, David continues to work hard to learn and to live with these conditions. He has many types of therapy to help him get stronger and better. David loves Sesame Street, numbers, letters and to play with maps on his iPad. He also loves grilled cheese sandwiches, pizza, pancakes and Subway sandwiches.
• David will be adopted as a Sparrow to Beaumont Middle School. Students will work hard to not only love and support him but raise money for David through sponsored community service for additional therapy and daily expenses.
The Firstenburg Foundation The Firstenburg Foundation