Condition: Down Syndrome with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia
City, State: Portland, OR
Club: Deep Creek K-8 Sparrow Club Service Hours:
Date Adopted: 2/19/2020
Dariush's Story:• Dariush is a sweet 16-month-old who loves music, painting and his smile lights up a room.
• Dari was diagnosed with Down Syndrome just 24 hours after he was born. His family was blindsided by the diagnosis and all the health conditions that were attached.
• Dari spent the first several weeks of his life in the NICU, struggling to breathe. During this time doctors found a small hole in his heart and received treatment for a transient form of Leukemia.
• Down Syndrome kids are more prone to Leukemia, so doctors watched him carefully. However, in July of 2019, Dari was officially diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia and was admitted to Doernbecher Children’s Hospital. His treatments started immediately.
• Dari’s chemotherapy requires 30 days of hospitalization for each round of treatment. Doctors carefully treat and monitor him and when it is safe, he is generally sent home for one to two weeks between each round. These treatments will continue until late spring of 2020.
• Despite all this, Dariush continues to laugh and play with a smile. He is a true warrior who takes his treatments in stride. His favorite song is “The Itsy-Bitsy Spider”.
• Dari will be adopted as a Sparrow to Deep Creek School. Students will work hard to not only love and support him but raise money for Dari through sponsored community service for medical and daily expenses.
Monti Electric Monti Electric