Brian B.

Condition: Brain Tumor
City, State: Eagle Point, OR
Club: Eagle Point High School Sparrow Club Service Hours:
Date Adopted: 11/01/2013

Brian's Story:
In early 2012, Brian was a bright, fun and very athletic teen who enjoyed baseball, soccer and Tai Chi. In May of 2012, a friend noticed Brian squinting and mentioned it to his mom. She took him to the eye doctor who found something that seemed “off,” so they decided to get a second opinion. Little did they know their lives were about to change. The second doctor noticed a mass behind Brian’s eye, in addition to a lot of pressure. Brian’s depth perception was also off by two feet. The doctor immediately ordered an x-ray. The results were shocking. Brian had a baseball size tumor called a juvenile pilocytic astrocytoma, sitting on his brain stem, pressing on the area of the brain that controls breathing. On June 19, 2012, Brian had surgery to remove the tumor. Because of backed up fluid and the location of the tumor, they were only able to get 90% of it, leaving 10% behind. Recovery was hard but Brian was persevering and after five weeks of intense therapy, he was finally released from the hospital. At home Brian used a walker but continued therapy and eventually he was even able to get back into Tai Chi.

In December 2012, things took a turn for the worse. An MRI showed the 10% they left had grown and more surgery was his only option. This time they were able to get the whole thing but recovery was far from over. Brian suffered from posterior fossa syndrome that affected his motor skill and speech. Brian went through another five weeks of intense therapy and started suffering from seizures. He will need a lot more therapy to progress but he is up for the challenge.

On May 22, The Children's Cancer Association honored Brian as a Community Hero and presented him with a medal. His story and picture are being displayed in their traveling exhibit called the “Wall of Courage.” Despite all he’s been through, Brian has a great attitude and continues to amaze his doctors, family, and friends.

Brian has a great love for life and is determined to fully recuperate. He has a strong will and courage to face the unthinkable.

Brian will be adopted as a Sparrow to Eagle Point High School. Students will work hard to raise money for Brian through sponsored community service and fundraising projects.


Rogue Federal Credit Union
Rogue Federal Credit Union Rogue Federal Credit Union

Gene & Tina Pelham
Gene & Tina Pelham Gene & Tina Pelham