Condition: Congenital Heart Defects
City, State: Bend, OR
Club: Pacific Crest Middle School Sparrow Club Service Hours:
Date Adopted: 12/16/2019
Alaric's Story:• During a routine ultrasound while 20 weeks pregnant, Alaric’s parents were told that he would be born with congenital heart defects.
• Alaric’s parents saw their first specialist in Eugene right away. After additional testing they were given a very complicated and uncertain diagnosis.
• Alaric had transposition of the great arteries along with several other issues and defects that complicated matters significantly.
• Alaric had a hole in his heart. However, if that hole had not developed, he would not have survived up until that point. With 20 more weeks until his birth date, doctors were concerned that if that hole were to close up as his heart continued to grow and develop, his heart would be unable to function.
• His parents visited specialists at OHSU every month and Alaric was monitored closely.
• Alaric was born on March 11, 2019. He spent a week in the NICU. Tests revealed that he only had one working ventricle and the hole in his heart caused two chambers to essentially become one.
• Alaric would need surgery at 4-6 months old, once he was stronger. He was sent home because he was doing exceptionally well.
• Alaric had his first heart procedure at 3 months old so that doctors would know how to properly treat him as he grew. Doctors say he is a miracle baby! He is doing so well despite his physiological limitations.
• His most recent procedure in November showed that Alaric’s pulmonary valve has slowly been closing off, preventing blood from traveling to his lungs. He will soon need open heart surgery to repair this.
• Alaric is a happy baby and brings so much joy to his family. His five older brothers and sisters adore him. He loves splashing in the bath, watching his siblings run around, and listening to music. Elvis is his favorite!
• Alaric will be adopted as a Sparrow to Pacific Crest Middle School. Students will have the opportunity to work hard to raise money for Alaric’s ongoing treatment and travel through sponsored community service.
Kendall Toyota of Bend Kendall Toyota of Bend