Condition: Dandy-Walker Syndrome; Heart Defect
City, State: Grants Pass, OR
Club: Hidden Valley High School Sparrow Club Service Hours:
Date Adopted: 11/13/2019
• Adalena is a sweet 5-year-old girl who is extremely affectionate and loving. She loves Santa Claus, Garfield, and Mini Mouse.
• Adalena was born with a serious heart defect that is very complex and life threatening and will require life-long treatment.
• The day Adalena was born, she was immediately emergency air lifted to Portland because her heart was not working correctly. She spent two months at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital undergoing several surgeries to repair sections in her heart.
• Doctors also discovered that Adalena has a condition called Dandy-Walker Syndrome. This condition is a congenital brain malformation involving the cerebellum and a main ventricle that allows fluid to flow through the brain and spinal cord.
• Dandy-Walker Syndrome is responsible for many developmental delays. Adalena is cognitively around the age of two. She is non-verbal and was not able to walk until she was three. This syndrome also causes poor muscle tone, balance, and coordination. Adalena also has impaired vision and hearing.
• When Adalena was three, she had retinal detachment surgery due to a blood clot behind one of her eyes. She now wears glasses to help strengthen her eye muscles and improve her vision.
• Adalena has had many surgeries and must take daily heart medications. Doctors suggest that she has a very high chance of developing leaky valve syndrome, so they monitor her closely.
• Adalena will have medical hurdles her entire life but this adorable little girl remains very loving, happy, and courageous.
• Adalena will be adopted as a Sparrow to Hidden Valley High School. HVHS students will have the opportunity to work hard to raise money for Adalena’s ongoing treatment through sponsored community service.
Grants Pass Active Club Grants Pass Active Club