Condition: Auditory Neuropathy, Cortical Visual Impairment, Cerebral Palsy
City, State: Portland, OR
Club: Faubion School Sparrow Club Service Hours:
Date Adopted: 12/13/2019
• Winnie is an adorable 3-year-old who is a happy soul. She loves to bounce, swing and go fast.
• Winnie failed a hearing test when she was three days old. Three weeks later, she was diagnosed with auditory neuropathy. This means she can hear but her brain scrambles what she hears. She is considered legally deaf. Slowly Winnie’s parents noticed she wasn’t meeting simple milestones like sitting up and rolling over. When she began having seizures at just 10 months old, they knew there was more to her developmental delays.
• Winnie was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy when she was a year and a half old. This brought an entire set of new diagnosis, from Cortical Vision Impairment to Global Developmental Delay. Even though her eyes work, she is legally blind, and she may never meet the milestones most kids do.
• Winnie cannot walk or talk, and she needs constant care. In her short life she has had countless appointments, which include tests, procedures and all kinds of therapy to help her gain new skills. She will need therapy throughout her entire life.
• Despite all of this, Winnie loves the simple things most young girls do. She loves the water, going to the park and being outside. She just started preschool and loves learning and being around her classmates.
• Winnie will be adopted as a Sparrow to Faubion School, with extra support from School of Science & Technology. Students will work hard to not only love and support her but raise money for Winnie through sponsored community service for ongoing therapy, special equipment and daily needs.