Timithy P.

Condition: Infarction at brain stem
City, State: Anderson, IN
Club: Center for Inquiry School 84 Sparrow Club Service Hours:
Date Adopted: 1/14/2016

Timithy's Story:

Around 10:30am on August 22nd, a Saturday, Timithy began complaining about neck pain. A short time later, he complained of feeling nauseous. After being told to get up and go to the bathroom, he collapsed on the floor. From there things spiraled very quickly. He was unable to move his arms and legs beyond that of a rag doll. He was trying hard to get up but couldn't. We got him up on the couch to start asking him what was wrong. He said his body felt weird and that his right arm and leg were tingling. He began not being able to hold his head up right. At that point we called 911. While waiting for the ambulance, he complained that his arm felt like it was asleep and he couldn't feel his legs By the time he was in the ER, he was no longer able to speak well and he had lost most of his muscle control completely.

While in the ER his oxygen levels slowly started dropping. He went into a state in which he was not able to speak, hold his eyes open, or move his body at all. He was completely limp. They ran a myriad of tests on him in the ER including a spinal tap. He didn't so much as grimace during any of that or the other procedures. His oxygen had continued to drop even with the mask on to the point where they decided they needed to intubate him. He was able to muscle one or two semi-deep breathes then settle into very shallow breathing. He was taken to Peyton Manning Childrens Hospital where he now remains.

Extensive testing has shown an infarction at the area where his brain stem and medulla meet. In other words, the part of the brain/brain stem that controls just about everything. Currently, they've narrowed it down to either a stroke or transverse myelitis. Due to the lack of a blood clot, it is difficult to say for sure if he had a stroke or if it was something else.

During the first two weeks, his cognitive functions kept degrading. His outlook was not good. But finally he stopped getting worse and slowly started getting better. After over two months in the hospital, he can move his head left and right and up and down. He can communicate with his facial expressions, eye brows, and occasionally talking, though that is difficult. He cannot purposefully move anything from the neck down. He is in a wheelchair, on a ventilator, and is fed through a G-Tube. But he is home. And he has lost nothing of his personality. He is still the same boy he was before this all happened. He keeps his spirits up and is easily entertained by us and his brother and sister.


Crosser Family Foundation
Crosser Family Foundation Crosser Family Foundation