Condition: Autism with a significant language impairment
City, State: Bend, OR
Club: Cascade Middle School Sparrow Club Service Hours:
Date Adopted: 1/15/2020
• Emerson’s challenges started early. He started speech therapy shortly after his first birthday because he still had not said his first words.
• Around Emerson’s first birthday, his parents found out that his hearing was severely impaired due to built-up fluid in both ears. At the time, they thought this was the cause of his speech delay.
• After more than a year of speech therapy, with little progress, Emerson was screened for autism.
• At the age of three, Emerson was diagnosed with autism with a significant language impairment.
• Emerson will live a happy and successful life, but in order to do so, he will need therapy for a prolonged amount of time.
• Therapies like speech, behavior therapy, therapeutic riding, and play therapy are critical for Emerson's social and emotional development.
• Emerson is a sharp and social kiddo, but the language barrier he faces prevents him from communicating his thoughts and feelings and has prevented him from connecting with other children.
• Emerson loves animals (especially sea creatures and dinosaurs), being outdoors, meeting new kids at the playground, reading, painting, pizza, and his grandparents.
• Emerson is courageous, empathetic, funny, and curious. He is great at problem-solving, climbing and jumping… and singing.
• Emerson will be adopted as a Sparrow to Cascade Middle School. Students will have the opportunity to work hard to raise money for Emerson’s ongoing treatment through sponsored community service.