Condition: Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)
City, State: Klamath Falls, OR
Club: Brixner Jr High School Sparrow Club Service Hours:
Date Adopted: 1/28/2020
• Caiden is a friendly and outgoing 8-year-old boy who loves sports, Legos, and video games.
• When Caiden was 5 years old, he was diagnosed with a genetic disorder called Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD).
• With Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, muscles break down and grow weaker over time. This is caused by a defect of a protein called dystrophin that helps keep muscle cells intact.
• Caiden wear’s AFO braces on his legs and feet day and night and often uses a scooter to help him get around. He may eventually need to use a wheelchair.
• While DMD makes it difficult to walk, run, and jump, Caiden doesn’t let this keep him from being involved in various sports that he loves.
• Caiden often endures body aches and cramps in his legs and takes daily medication to help relieve the effects of his muscular dystrophy.
• Muscular dystrophy can cause curvature of the spine (scoliosis) while also affecting the heart and respiratory muscles, so Caiden sees doctors often, both locally and long distance.
• The effects of muscular dystrophy get worse over time, and currently, there is no cure. However, Caiden is a brave and determined young man who enjoys his life and refuses to give up. He is an inspiration to all who meet him.
• Due to Caiden’s need for a scooter, his family hopes to be able to install a ramp at the front of their house to make it easier to come and go. Another practical need would be a car carrier for Caiden’s scooter, which would make it much easier to transport.
• Caiden will be adopted as a Sparrow to Brixner Jr. High School, in Klamath Falls. Students at Brixner Jr. High will work hard to raise money for Caiden through sponsored community service projects.
Arthur R. Dubs Foundation Arthur R. Dubs Foundation