City, State: Central Point, OR
Club: Scenic Middle School Sparrow Club Service Hours:
Date Adopted: 10/07/2019
• Miya is a sweet and happy 6-year-old girl who attends Jewett Elementary. She loves the color blue and Barbie Dolls.
• Miya was born with a condition called scoliosis (a severe curvature of the spine).
• She spent 2 years in body casting and 3 months in Halo Traction.
• Many surgeries have been required to keep Miya healthy. The most serious surgery was the installation of the Magec Rod in her back.
• The Magec Rod has been very successful. However, it requires lengthening procedures every 4-6 weeks. She will continue to undergo surgeries to extend the rods as she grows.
• Miya has many doctor visits and must continue to receive medical care frequently. She and her family travel to Portland monthly to receive expert care from Shriners Hospital.
• Miya also struggles with ADHD and various sensory conditions.
• Miya will battle medically her entire life, but she has chosen to remain joyful and courageous.
• Miya will be adopted as a Sparrow to Scenic Middle School. Scenic Middle School students will have the opportunity to work hard to raise money for Miya’s ongoing treatment through sponsored community service.
Medical Eye Center Medical Eye Center