Condition: Born with severe brain damage to temporal lobes
City, State: Jacksonville, OR
Club: McLoughlin Middle School Sparrow Club Service Hours:
Date Adopted: 12/13/2019
Levi's Story:• Levi is a sweet and caring 5-year-old boy who attends Pre-K at Jackson County Early Intervention Center. He is incredibly friendly and loves to meet new people with a big hug.
• Levi was a pretty typical baby, except he wasn’t learning to walk or “babble” as babies should. Doctors did an MRI and an EEG and discovered Levi was born with severe brain damage in his rear white matter and temporal lobes.
• This brain damage affects Levi in many ways that include fine motor skills, speech, and most profoundly his cognitive ability. Levi is cognitively around the age of one.
• In 2017, Levi was also diagnosed with a form of cerebral palsy. Fortunately, he is very mobile for having this diagnosis, but it is most noticeable in the way he carries his hands, and their lack of function.
• Levi is somewhat of a medical mystery. Doctors continue to test and study to learn what long-term affects the brain damage has caused. Currently, doctors are looking into a possible autism diagnosis as well.
• ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis) therapy is something Levi’s family feels would benefit him greatly. This therapy would help Levi understand appropriate social behavior as well as give him more independence as he ages. He currently does speech and occupational therapy. Levi and his family are also hoping to get him a service dog in the near future to help him.
• Despite his medical conditions Levi is full of life. He loves excitement, loves people, and loves dancing to music. He is obsessed with Mickey Mouse and all-things Disney. He is also a very strong child who is determined to not let anything hold him back.
• Levi will be adopted as a Sparrow to McLoughlin Middle School. MAC students will have the opportunity to work hard to raise money for Levi’s ongoing treatment through sponsored community service.