Condition: Hydrocephalus, cerebral palsy, and cortical blindness
City, State: Chandler, AZ
Club: Hamilton High School Sparrow Club Service Hours:
Date Adopted: 9/26/2019
• Josiah is an 11-year-old boy who lives with hydrocephalus, cerebral palsy, and cortical blindness. Josiah also experiences silent seizures.
• Josiah endured surgery at three-months-old in order to install a shunt in his head to help drain excess fluid surrounding his brain.
• Josiah was diagnosed with cerebral palsy around one year old. This diagnosis came after his parents and his doctors realized that he was not meeting milestones such as crawling and sitting up.
• Josiah had surgery for a G-tube at three-years-old and is mostly tube fed to this day.
• Josiah is mostly immobile, but he can scoot on the floor and walk with total assistance from his parents. He spends much of his time in a wheelchair, but also spends about 30 minutes per day in his stander.
• Josiah is non-verbal but is able to express emotions. He likes gadgets and devices that light up and make sounds and he loves receiving music therapy.
• Along with various therapies, Josiah must take seven different medications on a daily basis.
• Josiah attends school at Upward- a school that helps children with special needs achieve their highest potential, while empowering their families to thrive.
• The most pressing need for Josiah and his family is a wheelchair-accessible van to transport him where he needs to go.
• Josiah will be adopted as the first Sparrow to Hamilton High School in Chandler, AZ. Students at Hamilton will work hard to raise money for Josiah through sponsored community service and fundraising projects.
Black Rock Coffee Bar Black Rock Coffee Bar