Condition: Cystic Fibrosis
City, State: Medford, OR
Club: North Medford High School Sparrow Club Service Hours:
Date Adopted: 11/18/2019
• Azalya is a fun 4-year-old girl who is full of personality. She is girly one moment and then rough and tough the next moment.
• Azalya was born with a chronic progressive disease called cystic fibrosis (CF). CF affects the cells that produce mucus, sweat, and digestive fluids.
• There is no cure for this condition so doctors continue to search for life sustaining treatments to help those with CF live as healthy a life as possible.
• Cystic fibrosis is a complex disease and the types and severity of symptoms can differ widely from person to person. CF is life threatening and is taken seriously in every person who suffers from it. Many people with CF spend much of their life in and out of the hospital.
• Azalya was fortunate enough to be placed on a new medication when she was 2-years-old. The medication has proven to be the most beneficial treatment thus far and has kept Azalya healthy enough to keep her from being hospitalized even once.
• Along with the new medication, Azalya also completes a combination of therapies. These include airway clearance by using a vest, inhaled medicines through a PEP mask, antibiotics, supplements, and a handful of various pills with every meal.
• Azalya refuses to let her medical challenges distract her from enjoying life. She is a very feisty and playful “tom boy” who is determined to be a big part of life. She loves people and can easily transition into any situation. Her mother refers to her as an “old soul.”
• Azalya will be adopted as a Sparrow to North Medford High School. NMHS students will have the opportunity to work hard to raise money for Azalya’s ongoing treatment through sponsored community service.
Airport Buick GMC Airport Buick GMC