Condition: Uncontrolled Epilepsy; Asthma
City, State: Portland, OR
Club: Parkrose Middle School Sparrow Club Service Hours:
Date Adopted: 12/05/2019
Ashtyn's Story:• Ashtyn is a normal and loving 5-year-old who loves Disney princesses, tiaras, wands, tutus and dresses. She also loves unicorns, mermaids, baby dolls and everything pink.
• When Ashtyn was just three years-old she had her first seizure. After many tests, it was revealed that she had epilepsy. Her seizures quickly spiraled out of control and after two years, doctors are still unable to find the right treatment. On any given night, Ashtyn can have up to 50 seizures. This has been a way of life for her.
• Over the last year, she has not been able to gain any weight. In September, Ashtyn was admitted to the hospital again, this time the side effects from the seizures seemed to be causing more serious complications. Her ability to swallow and chew food was greatly impaired, and she suddenly lost the ability to speak.
• When doctors diagnosed her with failure to thrive, they decided to place a feeding tube to ensure her body was getting the nutrition it needed to grow. Ashtyn has partially lost the use of her left arm as well and is struggling to learn to deal with all her little body has been through.
• This will be a constant battle as doctors search for why this is happening and how they can help her regain the skills she has lost.
• Through all of this, Ashtyn continues to be strong and brave. She is a true warrior who has endured so much in her young life, but she never complains, trying to hold on to her goofy, fun-loving self.
• Ashtyn will be adopted as a Sparrow to Parkrose Middle School. Students will work hard to not only love and support her but raise money for Ashtyn through sponsored community service and fundraising for medical and daily expenses.