Condition: Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome
City, State: Sherwood, OR
Club: Sherwood Middle School Sparrow Club Service Hours:
Date Adopted: 10/04/2019
• Asher is a sweet 6-year-old whose laugh and smile simply light up a room. He loves all sports, especially baseball, basketball and soccer. He also loves to play video games, stuffed dogs, McDonalds, racing cars and playing with his brothers and sister.
• Before Asher was born, his parents were told he had Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome and would require multiple surgeries throughout his life, including a heart transplant.
• Asher spent the first few weeks of his life in the hospital. At just 2 days old, he had his first open heart surgery to reconstruct his heart to allow it to pump blood to his body. He required careful monitoring when he came home.
• In June of 2013, when Asher was just three months old, he had his second open-heart surgery. Doctors removed a damaged stent from his first surgery and reconfigured the way his blood circulated through his heart.
• At the age of four, Asher had his third open-heart surgery, where they further reconstructed his blood circulation, allowing his heart to pump more oxygenated blood through his body.
• Asher has also had three heart catheterizations to place and expand stents and to monitor his heart function.
• This will be a constant battle as Asher’s heart must learn to handle his growing body.
• Asher just wants to run and play like all the other kids. He is a true warrior who has endured so much in his young life, but he continues to be positive, happy and easy going.
• Asher will be adopted as a Sparrow to Sherwood Middle Level Schools. Students will work hard to not only love and support him but raise money for Asher through sponsored community service and fundraising for medical expenses.