Condition: Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia (APML)
City, State: Damascus, OR
Club: Rock Creek Middle School Sparrow Club Service Hours:
Date Adopted: 1/13/2020
• Amelia is a sweet 13-month-old who is always smiling and loves to be goofy. She also loves Zootopia, The Secret Life of Pets and her older brother and sister.
• At a year old, Amelia went to the doctor for her regular check-up. A blood test suggested she was anemic. Doctors decided to do a second blood test to determine if Amelia needed a blood transfusion. The second blood test showed a bigger problem. Amelia’s parents were devastated to find out she had Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia (APML), a rare sub-type of Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
• Amelia was sent to Randall Children’s Hospital that same day. She underwent many tests, including a blood transfusion, a spinal tap and surgery to place a PICC line. Amelia spent the next four weeks in the hospital.
• On October 14, 2019, Amelia had a second bone marrow biopsy which showed she was responding well to the chemotherapy drugs. Doctors placed a port in her chest to help administer her chemo treatments due to complications with her previous PICC line. Amelia will have treatments 5-7 days a week, for a minimum of 7 months.
• Through all of this, Amelia continues to laugh and play with a big smile. She is a true warrior who says hello by sticking her tongue out and loves to try to eat bubbles.
• Amelia will be adopted as a Sparrow to Rock Creek Middle School. Students will work hard to not only love and support her but raise money for Amelia through sponsored community service for medical and daily expenses.