Condition: Rett Syndrome
City, State: Portland, OR
Club: Evergreen Middle School Sparrow Club Service Hours:
Date Adopted: 2/21/2020
• Alice is one of the sweetest three and a half-year-old girls you’ll ever know. Her smile is infectious, and she melts the heart of those around her. She loves books, toys that make music and being outside.
• After 18 months of typical development, Alice began having trouble walking and lost verbal communication along with significant use of her hands. She was globally delayed.
• In June of 2018, at the age of two, Alice was diagnosed with Rett Syndrome and it was as if the world stopped. Rett Syndrome is a rare genetic neuro-developmental disorder in which many previously gained skills are lost. There is no cure today for Rett Syndrome.
• Although Alice has lost the ability to speak, she is smart and understands others. She has much to give and share with the world. Alice loves preschool and using her eye-gaze device to communicate. Additionally, she has regular speech, occupational, physical, hippo-therapy (on a horse) and aquatic therapies.
• Despite the daily challenges Alice faces, her joyfulness, energy and radiant smile never fade. Her daily positive attitude is a key part of her taking steps toward improvement.
• Alice will be adopted as a Sparrow to Evergreen Middle School and students will work hard to love and support her through sponsored community service. Students will also raise funds for Alice’s therapies, keeping her strong as steps are taken toward curing Rett Syndrome.