Condition: Pre-B Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)
City, State: Klamath Falls, OR
Club: Mazama High School Sparrow Club Service Hours:
Date Adopted: 10/29/2019
• Abigail is a sweet 5-year-old little girl who loves life. She is extremely caring and often will put the needs of others above her own.
• On August 21, 2019, Abigail and her mother were emergency air lifted to Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Portland, OR. Doctors had discovered a form of cancer in her blood cells.
• The medical team at Doernbecher noted that Abigail had red spots over her body (a condition called petechiae). She had a very high temperature, her blood was not clotting, and her platelet count was very low.
• Abigail received several platelets and red blood cell infusions to stabilize her. Doctors ran several tests and on August 23, 2019, Abigail was diagnosed with Pre-B Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL).
• She began chemotherapy treatment on August 23 after they performed a bone marrow aspiration to confirm the leukemia diagnosis. A few weeks into chemo treatments an abscess in her rib proved problematic and needed to be drained twice to respond favorably to the IV antibiotics.
• On September 20 Abigail had a port surgically placed as well as another bone marrow test to confirm that she was in remission from her leukemia. She is currently in the consolidation phase of treatment.
• In spite of all her medical challenges, Abigail is more concerned about the emotional well-being of others. She continues to be courageous and kind. Abigail keeps her spirit up playing with mermaids and unicorns and she also loves the outdoors, swimming, and playing with animals. Her favorite color is purple.
• Abigail will be adopted as a Sparrow to Mazama High School. Mazama students will have the opportunity to work hard to raise money for Abigail’s ongoing treatment through sponsored community service.
Arthur R Dubs Foundation Arthur R Dubs Foundation